Fix at Night 1.0
Practice getting position fixes!
With "Fix at Night" you practice the following aspects of nautical navigation:
- identifying beacons
- taking bearings
- plotting bearings on charts
- getting position fixes
Fix at Night is available on the App Store.
Things you need in addition to the app:
- the training chart D 49/INT 1463 (which you can order online from chandleries and book stores)
- nautical instruments (parallel plotter or navigational triangles, chart dividers, pencil, eraser)
Fix at Night turns your iPhone into a window/binoculars into the night. From a position on the training chart D 49/INT 1463 you observe the beacons and nautical lights around you and take their bearings. After you got a position fix you enter the coordinates into the app which then will tell you how far your position is off. The smaller the difference the better!
I design my software following the principle to only collect, process, and store data that is actually needed for the software to serve its purpose. No single bit more than that. In German, the name of this principle is "Datensparsamkeit." A literal translation of this word is "data thrift".
In effect, this means:
- Fix at Night has no user accounts. Fix at Night will not ask you for personal data.
- Data you enter into the Fix at Night app will not leave the app. The only data stored are the last entered coordinates which can be cleared anytime.
- No personal data is collected or processed.
- No user tracking of any kind is used.